Bon Air Motel



Location: Williamstown, Ohio

Dates Visited: July 22, 2014 / October 25, 2014


Located on Lincoln Highway (previously known as Route 30), which is just north of the new I-30, this little motel was once a place for truckers to get some rest on long trips. As a matter of fact, the sign out front read, "Bon Air Motel, Truckers Welcome". Unfortunately, the sign was apparently given to a collector in 2009, so I didn't get a chance to see it when I went.

I'm not quite sure when it opened or closed, but given the amount of deterioration, I'm going to say that it's been awhile since anyone's paid to spend the night there. It probably closed due to the old Route 30 giving way to the new four lane interstate that runs parallel to it, which is now the preferred route for truckers and anyone on long trips.
I don't think its seen a mower in awhile either.
It looks like this tree was struck by lighting.

The other part of the "L".

Main office and two rooms.

Lots of boards, but also lots of holes.

The front entrance.

Lots of overgrowth.
Carport that separates the motel into two sections.

Partially boarded up door in the carport.
Side view of the building.
Entrances to rooms 1 and 2.

A pillow in what's left of the driveway, for whatever reason.
I visited the sight on two occasions, as it is relatively close to my house. I took the usual friend I take to these sights the first time. It was a lot creepier than we expected. I took a few exterior shots as we cautiously walked around. We peeked into one room, then chickened out and went home. I don't know what it was about it that made it seem so uninviting that day. It was just an old motel in the middle of what felt like nowhere.

I didn't go back until October, and with one more friend tagging along, I had higher hopes for actually having the courage to go inside. Fortunately, we did. Okay, I did. My one friend wouldn't leave the car and the other just kind of lingered on the outside, asking where I was and if I was alright every two seconds. I suppose I had the advantage, though, considering I had just recently started taking a medication which side effects included "unusual risk-taking behavior/no fear of danger".
So there I was, inside all by myself. To be honest, there really wasn't much left inside. The L-shaped building had what I assumed was the main office and about five rooms, all of which were pretty much empty, except for some debris and trash. There was also a little drive through/garage type structure that split the motel into two parts. The graffiti was surprisingly minimal, considering it was extremely easy to get inside. 
I was able to explore most of the main office and adjoining rooms by traveling through holes in walls or broken doors. I did have to crawl through some holes in wooden boards to get into a few of the actual motel rooms, though. It was decently well lit throughout, thanks to all the holes in the ceiling and broken doors/windows. While it was quite dilapidated, it didn't feel like it would collapse any second, fortunately.

The easiest door to get into.


The first room I entered. No idea what YM43D44N means.

One of the many holes in the ceiling.

Apparently, a bathroom doorway is good spot for a birds nest.

Lots of debris.
Pink bathroom.
Because ceilings are overrated.
One of the darker rooms I went into.

I'm assuming there used to be a sink in the corner.
I hope these weren't the original wall colors.
Another ceiling hole.
I can't even remember what was through this doorway. Probably debris.
It looks like the walls used to be blue.
And every room had it's own skylight!
There were a lot of circular holes in the walls. Not sure why.
Sometimes, one man's trash is still trash.
I guess someone decided that the door wasn't good enough.

Stylish yellow tile.

A closet.

Yellow bathroom.

Pipes.

Another one of those mysterious holes...
Dark hallway.

Meet what seems to be the only vandals, Bailey and Paul.

Walls are also overrated.

Even the hallways have skylights!

A little graffiti here and there.

Someone apparently kicked the back door in or something.
Our vandals have a favorite subject, if you can't tell.

It looks like something exploded in here.

It got a bit hard to walk in places.

I see the light.

Some of the few pieces of furniture left.
I'm not sure what this wrought iron piece was for.

Desk.

As I said, pretty dilapidated.

Help you or kill you? I'm getting mixed signals here.

Paul has apparently claimed this wall.
Homemade doorways,

Dark and creepy hallway.

The wall color is growing on me.

Was a door, now it's just a doorway.

Some rooms were so full of debris, I couldn't even get in.

I don't think the lights work.

Probably the creepiest room. It was very dark to stand in.

Circular wall hole #3.

And the award for most disgusting carpet I've ever seen goes to...

I'm pretty sure there were birds living up there.

Smashed toilet. Sounds like a cool band name. Right?
Pipes and beer bottles.

Sir, please put that woman down.

Plug.

Are they dancing? I don't know.

Missing toilet.

Rusty vent.

Actually, this was the creepiest room I went into. It was like a tiny, dark box to stand in.

Another room I couldn't walk in.

My way out.

Overall, I enjoyed the Bon Air Motel, especially the second visit. I love places that are out in the country with little to no signs of other people. It takes a lot of the stress out of exploring and potentially getting caught. I wish the sign was still there, but it didn't take away from the experience too much.

Comments

  1. I have lived my entire 56 years here and I never remember this motel being open. I must ask my parents about it. It was closed long before new 30 was built.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. It's still there but it's in the process of being renovated. I drove past it trying to find out if it was still explorable, but there were dumpsters all over the lot and the building itself looked pretty cleaned up. It's probably going to become apartments.

      Delete
    2. It is being used as a reclaimed lumber yard/architectural salvage store for barnwoodmarket/Sciuga Salvage. Eventually a large commercial metal building will be erected for the business, and the original motel will be made into a large home.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog