Thunder Island Water Park


Location: Westfield, Indiana

Date Visited: March 31, 2014

I was visiting a friend in Fort Wayne, Indiana. It was spring break, and we really hadn't made plans. We were simply laying around and doing not much of anything. Somehow, the topic of abandoned places was brought up. It was probably by me, as I have a tendency of rambling on about that kind of thing. Anyways, we then decided that we should go on a little adventure, so I began researching places in Indiana. After ruling out a few candidates, we decided to take the two hour trip to Westfield to explore this abandoned water park.

While I was unable to find out much about the parks history, nor could I find any pictures of it while it was in operation, I'm pretty sure that it opened sometime in the 70s and closed in 90s. Nowadays, it sits right off of U.S. Route 31, hidden by the trees on the side of the road. While I forgot to get a picture, the entrance is still there, marked by a gate and a small sign.

The park is so well hidden, that when we arrived near the site, we had our doubts as to whether the park was still there or not. Fortunately, I remembered reading that it was hidden from the road, so we continued looking. I accidentally passed it at first, not realizing it was there. Once we found the entrance, I parked at a nearby cemetery. We then crossed the street and slipped passed a badly broken side gate. To my surprise, there wasn't a "No Trespassing" sign anywhere in sight. It seemed as if the park had been completely forgotten.

Once we were inside the fence, we found ourselves in a field. There was no sign of a water park anywhere. The only thing we found was litter. We continued walking, though. Once we were in a bit deeper, we reached an old path. We were definitely getting warmer.

An old path.



We're on the right track.

We then spotted a hill with what appeared to be some rocks on top. We went to investigate.
The hill.

Looking back at where we came from.
Once we reached the top of the hill we realized that we had made it to the top of the old water slide and that Thunder Island was still standing.
The rock formation we spotted from the bottom.
The back side of the rock formation.
Side view of the rock formation.
View of the parking lot from the top of the hill. 

Moist.

Top of the water slide.

Mask in the water at the top of the water slide. A bit creepy.
Not exactly sanitary.

Curves.

Not a very fun slide anymore.

Heading down the slide.

Looking back up.

View of one of the pools from the slide.

Look out! Moist Pussy.

Piss here.

Ready... Set... Okay, maybe we shouldn't go.

Dirty and covered in graffiti. 

I wonder what makes the water black.
Once we finished exploring the slides, we headed down the other side of the hill and headed towards the various pools.
Anyone up for a swim?

This pool looks more like a pond than a pool.

I have a feeling no one has changed the filter in awhile.

Even abandoned pools can become ecosystems.

Pool with a dock.

There were quite a few pools.

We even found a turtle in one of them.

Hello there!

The pool where Michelangelo the turtle resides.

This very shallow pool had a tree growing out of it.

One of my favorite parts of the park. 
We also found remnants of a mini golf course.
Green stuff.

Who needs a red carpet when you can have this green one?

I have a feeling that the trees growing through the course were not the intended obstacles.
While I had read of there being a couple of buildings on the property, we were unable to locate any. I'm not sure if they had been demolished or if we are just terrible at locating things. After going to the pools and the mini golf course, we headed back over the hill and called it a day. I believe it was a pretty successful trip. I'm just glad that it was actually there because there were some doubts. Most importantly, I got to spend the day with my friend, introducing her to something I love to do. Hopefully, there will be many more adventures to come.

Comments

  1. I used to go there as a child (born in 83). Lots of good times. I'm trying to get pics of the place before it went bankrupt and closed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see what it looked like before it closed. It closed before I was even born, so I never had a chance to see it. Be sure to tell me if you find anything!

      Delete
  2. The two round pools were kiddie pools. One had a huge elephant slide and the other a large mushroom shaped waterfall in the middle. The square pool with remnants of 3 slide exits had a yellow, blue, and red slide that started on top of what I would describe a wooden scaffold about 5 stories high. There was also the cement tube slide shown (I thought there were two) as well as a bumper boats (I think the l shaped pool). Add in gokarts and a nice putt putt course and it made for fun weekends. Checkout the Facebook group bring back Thunder Island! For more info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Yellow slide was called "Stingray", The blue one was "Barracuda", and the Red was called "Jaws"

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The park was owned by Michael Maio who was convicted of insider trading by the sec...the park closed after filing for bankruptcy shortly thereafter. I quick search show annual income of 280k to 330k per year with 8 full time staff members. It closed around 1994 or 1995.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the information! I had a hard time finding any. It's nice to know a bit of the history behind these places.

      Delete
  5. I'll look for the pictures tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. there was a concrete path that you had to walk up while carrying your innertube that had metal poles by the wave pool it used to have a rope going through it i remember the three water slides they were amazing therewas also an arcade there i remember one of their employees accused me of setting off the alarm to the claw machine even though i didn't ah memories there was a sheltered picnic area right near the fence on the right side it is completely gone now i did not see the clubhouse there but i took some pictures if you want to go exploring together sometime email me at muskegon6782002@yahoo.com have a great day kaitlin charles

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is this still accessible. It hasn't been torn down or anything has it? Would love to get some photos. Its getting harder and harder to find great pieces of history like this to photograph

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is this still accessible. It hasn't been torn down or anything has it? Would love to get some photos. Its getting harder and harder to find great pieces of history like this to photograph

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I know, it is still there. I checked Google Earth for some satellite images, and I could make out the pools and the slides. If you want to see for yourself, it's across the street from Porter Engineer Systems in Westfield, Indiana. It's one of my favorite places that I've explored. I hope you get a chance to see it!

      Delete
  9. The pool with the dock was where they had little paddle boats. You and a friend could paddle around the little pool.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This park was also used in the movie "Freeze Frame" staring Shannon Doherty. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104300/?ref_=fn_al_tt_3 Thunder Island is referenced by name in the movie and is kind of central to the plot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1CEGIu6EUY

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been there twice, and there is a building if you keep going past where you stopped towards the entrance. It used to be the arcade. The second time I was there was about a year ago, and everything was still the same. The owner got into trouble (I think tax fraud) and went to prison, and that's when it shut down in the 90s. They sold the water slides (I believe one is at The Beach near Kings Island in Mason, Ohio) and left it there. It's one of my favorite places and low-risk.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tubin' Tornadoes. These are two standard dark tunneled inner-tube slides that give left and right turns and a helix before coming out of the tunnel into a dip and splashing into the pool at the end. דילים לרודוס

    ReplyDelete
  14. It was a money laundering front for a mob out of Chicago FYI.

    ReplyDelete
  15. There is a small shack near the golfcourse I dont remember what it was but it was collapsing

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog