Circle H Motel


Location: Greenwich, OH

Date Visited: May 14, 2016

The Circle H Motel was our second exploration on a road trip to Akron for a friend's birthday. It's located about halfway between Mansfield and Akron on US 250.

Thanks to the county auditor's website and several other blogs, I've been able to gather that the motel was built in 1958. It was ran by Melvina Hamilton and her husband Fremon, who also ran the J & F Bargain Center, which is located just across the street. Melvina died in 2009 and her husband in 2012, so I'm assuming the motel closed in the years just prior. The bargain center, on the other hand, is still open. I'm not sure why it closed, though I was able to find two reviews of the motel online from when it was open, one scathing and one mixed, so maybe that's a hint.

The weather was pretty abysmal during our visit. Plenty of rain and hail. With that said, it was a pretty fun excursion.

Vacancy. Weekly and night rate.


The motel was pretty long, with the lobby/main office at the center.


Motel

Hallway.

The first of about eight rooms.

Lots of roof/ceiling damage in this place.

Almost every bathroom was identical. And pink.

Abandoned sink.

This room was probably in the worst shape.

Instead of windows to the outdoors, you get windows into the hallway.

All of the sinks were outside the bathrooms.

Another pink bathroom.

Each room was a different color with different carpet, but otherwise pretty much identical.

Lampshade.

Gray room

I'm not quite sure what the metal thing hanging on the wall is. Somewhere to hang clothes, maybe?


White room.

Behind the front desk.

No working electricity here.


Front desk.

The ceiling had completely fallen in the office.

I believe that's insulation on the floor. Regardless, I think I inhaled it because I was coughing for two days after our visit.

No more ceiling.

Back door.

Back room.

Basement steps.
We debated for awhile about going into the basement. There's something especially creepy about a basement in an abandoned motel in the middle of nowhere. It sounds like a perfect place for a serial killer to put their victims' bodies. We eventually went for it anyways and thankfully, the steps didn't collapse.
Under the steps.

Basement

I wonder what that hole was for.

Inside the hole.

Warped wood paneling.

The ceiling was coming down down here too.

Debris.

A sink.

I'm pretty sure those flowers were fake.

A hot water heater and a desk, maybe?

Two water heaters? My contractor father would be so disappointed in me.

I kind of like that wallpaper, actually.
When we came up from the basement, we headed to the left wing of the motel.
I also really liked the light fixtures.

The wallpaper was really coming down in this room.

Pretty light fixtures again.

And the weird metal thing.
Greenish blueish bathroom.

Something is still plugged in, but I'm not sure what it is.

Floral curtain.

Ah, I just realized that that's where that random lampshade in the first room came from.

My bedroom is almost this exact same color.

Is that a McDonalds sticker?

Someone was really unhappy with this door.

I'm a fan of the floral curtains.

Not sure what this is.

Yet another abandoned toilet. That seems to be a trend here on this blog.

I think my kitchen used to have these same counter tops.

Mailbox.

This house stood next to the motel. It appeared abandoned, but we couldn't get inside.

Another old motel sign, maybe?

The side of the house facing the road.
This was a nice, relaxed exploration. I love visiting places out in the middle of nowhere. There tends to be less vandalism and less chance of getting caught. I'll also always have the hilarious memory of my friend pissing in a cup here. Good times, good times.

Comments

  1. The weird metal things are indeed designed to hang things up. Basically an exposed closet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This motel was razed since your exploration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the "Motel" sign with the boards it is mounted on as my feature wall in my dining room in Wellington , Ohio.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your picture of the hallway, and where you mention that the room windows instead of looking outside look into the hallway. Thought the conversion itself is not common, this is common in motels, that had exterior corridors but were converted to interior corridors. If done well the rooms former exterior walls are remodeled as well to look like interior walls and other than the fact that the hallway is in the front of rather than the middle of the motel it would be hard to tell it had been converted. That is not the case in this motel. It looks like it was done as cheaply as possible, but why? The mot common reason is when a flag requires it, for example if you ran an exterior corridor Holiday inn and they start requiring all franchising hotels be interior corridor they might do this, so they could stay with the company. But no company would have accepted a job like this even back in the day. My only guess is that the motel was showing it's age, and perhaps already had a good sized covered area running along the front of the rooms. So frame in one wall, sheath it and paint it, and they have a more modern looking motel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now for the when did it close issue. From reading articles it sounds like it closed in 2007. You explored this 7 years later and look at all the damage. Not from squatters or vandals, but from moisture or even water intrusion. My bet, they closed it up because it became to dilapidated to operate.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog